Thursday, October 2, 2008

YZBL's Symphonic Metal Playlist #1

Fresh off the presses.

Symphonic metal or opera metal is a term used to describe heavy metal music that has symphonic elements; that is, elements that sound similar to a classical symphony. Symphonic metal is both a genre of metal and a name given to several subgenres of other metal genres, and as such, both forms of usage have slightly varying definitions. The genre refers to bands that combine aspects of varying metal genres, with signature female-led vocals and operatic/classical themes to give the music a feeling of being a symphony.

Most of the list fits that description. Lots of pretentious dutch women, keyboards, melodic guitar riffs and fast drums to make Richard Wagner proud.

Symphonic Metal #1
1. Midnattsol - Konkylie
2. Within Temptation - Our Solemn Hour
3. Together - Lunatica
4. Leaves Eyes - New Found Land
5. After Forever - Evoke
6. Nightwish - Kinslayer
7. Stream of Passion - Passion
8. Tarja Tarnunnen - Damned and Divine
9. The Gathering - Mirror Waters (Semi-acoustic)
10. Therion - Three Treasures

Symphonic Metal #2
1. Autumn NL - Angel of Desire
2. Draconian - Morphine Cloud
3. Fairyland - On the Path to Fury
4. Edenbridge - Fallen from Grace
5. Angtoria - Do you See me now
6. Atrocity - Forever Young (LOL, not necessarily symphonic metal, but hilarious)
7. Battlelore - House of Heroes
8. Elis - Phoenix from the Ashes
9. Epica - Fools of Damnation
10. Apocalyptica - Harvester of Sorrow

2 comments:

ShiningIdeal said...

For me to know 25% of a metal mix is always a little impressive to me. I enjoyed it a fair bit, its the sort of metal that I do enjoy when I hear - even if I don't listen to it.

A lot has to do with the vocalists voices here - I wasn't a fan of After Forever for example, solely on her voice. Fairyland and Autumn were both very good and unfamiliar to me going into this.

Angtoria though I think was the one that I really flipped over. Her voice worked very well for me (Wasn't till after listening to it that I looked her up - wow).

Nightwish was a band I never really cared for - nor did I like her solo work that much. The Gathering I've always adored even if I have never really followed them.

Therion I actually found myself interested by - hmm I should put them on my list of people to look into further, I'm not sold from a single track but I am intrigued.

wasteful said...

i was worried that i wasn't going to be into any of this, because i admittedly prefer my metal just about as dirty and unsymphonic as it comes but there were definitely some standout tracks. i'll go over my three favorites...

first was the gathering. i had heard one or two of their songs on compilations, but this one definitely blows my previous notions away.

second was therion. i was a fan of this band during their death metal days, but never explored their newer stuff. this was pretty nice.

and third was battlelore. i was expecting something completely different for some reason, but this was nice.