Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Modern Shoegaze



The 'new wave' of Shoegaze draws influence from both those that went before and some of the brilliant dark wave bands of the past as well. There are many more popular bands in the genre but this is a short walk down the slightly less traveled side.

  • 1969 Armstrong - Salient Night
  • Air Formation - Tidal
  • Auburn Lull - Broken Heroes
  • Autolux - Robots in the Garden
  • Film School - Go Down Together
  • Malory - Sleeper
  • Manual - Marbella
  • Tearwave - Holding On
  • The Daysleepers - Twilight Bloom
  • The Meeting Places - Same Lies As Yesterday
Download

3 comments:

wasteful said...

i can tell this is a mix i'll have to spin a few more times for it properly settle, but i was immediately most fond of air formation, auburn lull, and tearwave. i'll definitely be looking for more material from them soon.

the only dud for me 1969 armstrong, but maybe it'll grow on me as i listen to the mix again.

also, i was only familiar with a couple of these bands, which is always good!

Soror YZBL said...

You caught me off guard, I didn't know a single of these bands. I will agree that 1969 Armstrong is the weakest of the bunch. My favorite was The Meeting Places, which reminded me of Mike Van Portfleet from Lycia playing for an alt-country band.

ShiningIdeal said...

The minor irony about all this is that 1969 Armstrong I didn't even listen. I just for laughs pulled something free off the nugaze tab at last.fm and it was top on the list. Heh.