Wednesday, October 1, 2008

YZBL's Sugar Sweet Indie Pop-Rock mix

Hey everyone, it's YZBL from the forums (pronounced Iz-A-Bel, in case you were wondering), and this is my first list. I've been listing to a ton of indie pop music lately, and want to spread the joy. Some of these may lean more towards the Rock side, so I'm calling it an indie pop-rock mix. In any case, you won't find any heartache, only a bottle of wine.

(EDITED - first two tracks weren't DRM free, so no sharey. Thanks Apple!)

1. The Book of Lists - Pebbles
2. Apples in Stereo - Same old Drag
3. China Forbes - Everybody needs Somebody
4. Delorean - As time breaks off
5. Hey Willpower - Hundredaire
6. Benton Harbor Blues - Fiery Furnaces
7. Agua de Annique - Yalin
8. British Sea Power - Waving Flags
9. The Impossible Shapes - She Let me Run
10. The 1900s - When I say Go
11. The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart - Doing All the Things That Wouldn't Make Your Parents Proud
12. Ra Ra Riot - Each Year
13. Voxtrot - The Start of Something
14. The Long Blondes - Guilt

And I'm saving the best for last
15 . Acid House Kings - This Heart is a Stone. This whole album is just amazing. Even better is their DVD. The entire album is done as a Karaoke video.

YZBL's Sugar Sweet Indie Pop

3 comments:

ShiningIdeal said...

Yay, this! Okay so admittedly as someone who mainly listens to electropop and indiepop there weren't a whole lot of surprises in this pack but you did pick up quite a few of my favorite bands of the day/week/month to put in here.

Agua de Annique and Hey Willpower are the hot finds I'll have to pick up some of this week.

Voxtrot, British Sea Power, The Impossible Shapes I've all actually gotten to see live before and a couple others I've been watching the tour plans of. (Acid House Kings are massive hearts for me but I don't really know if I could catch - similarly I'm not sure if China Forbes is promoting the new cd with a tour - though I'd happily see her with Pink Martini but....)

Soror YZBL said...

Agua de Annique's the oddball of the batch, because the singer was in the Gathering who started off a death metal band and slowly became a shoegazery trip hop band. The album wasn't received well by fans, which is sad, because she's talking about the next album being more "rock" and less piano poppy. Hey Willpower is Will Schwartz from Imperial Teen's dance pop band. The song's about 3 years old, and I dunno how active they are anymore since Imperial Teen has started playing shows again.

wasteful said...

this is a total surprise for me.
i honestly expected to really dislike a lot of this (i never liked the gathering or imperial teen, for example), and then there was a good chunk i'd never heard of before.

but this was all quality stuff. i'll be playing this one some more, as well as looking some more up from almost all of these bands.