Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Love will Tear us Apart

Like most people, the first Joy Division song I ever heard was "Love will tear us apart". It was probably around 83 or 84, and it was a long distance dedication on Casey Kasem's top 40. The song has been sort of an anthem (for lack of a more depressing term) for my own love life, and so much more. In any case, it's probably one of the most covered songs out there. I've collected a few on my work computer here, which I've attached. I've left out the obvious ones, like Paul Young, Swans, Moonspell and Fall Out Boy, and assembled a pack of very diverse artists and their interpretation of this seminal classic.

Love, Love will tear us apart again.

1. Damhnait Doyle
2. Honey Root
3. PJ Proby (prob my favorite, it's just fun)
4. Rebecca Hancock and the Prison Wives
5. Schulz
6. The Shanes
7. Susanna and the Magical Orchestra
8. Wonderlick
9. The Complete Stone Roses (yes, a stone roses cover band covering joy division)
10. A1 People

As always, your thoughts are appreciated.

6 comments:

ShiningIdeal said...

I love this song. I can't even comprehend the number of times I listened to the single. The 7" survived a purge a while back of my vinyl collection for the necessity of a move.

Wow - extra sad - the Dahmnait Doyle cover sounds exactly like someone the song makes me think of. The voice is eerie enough that I would think she was performing under the name if...

Really this song brings me back to a lot of places and listening to the covers is great - and tragic. Makes me want to be self-indulgent and loop it over and over for hours.

Anyway I've tried to do some analytical track by track stuff but with my commentary lately but this is just not something I can separate from the pathos - sorry.

Soror YZBL said...

That's what gonzo journalism is all about. We all know the story of Ian Curtis, let's here yours.

wasteful said...

i LOVE this song, as if i really needed to clarify for most of you guys. like most people, this was the first joy division song i heard (probably sometime in '95) and i immediately ordered "unknown pleasures" and "substance".

i enjoyed most of these covers, but my favorites were pj proby, schulz, and susanna and the magical orchestra.

ShiningIdeal said...

Never screw a girl from Long Island is the moral of the story.

Soror YZBL said...

You do realize that i'm a girl from long island, right?

ShiningIdeal said...

And you'll note I've never once tried to get into your pants, no?

Nah seriously though I actually feel a little stream of consciousness writing coming on in the next couple days so I'll try and see if I can come up with a story about it that's interesting to read and not just filled with broken heart angst if you are curious.