Friday, September 5, 2008

The Emotion of the Baroque Period

A proper study of the Baroque, or any classical period is really beyond the ability of a couple posts here. So instead of trying to really overwhelm anyone I've put together a mixture of a few of the most recognizable classical pieces from the era and a couple of less commonly recalled composers. The period has always been one of my favorites from an aspect of history due to their singular and deep emotional connections.

For those of you interested, feel free to contact me through the forums or in comments here and I can recommend a more in depth reading list. Also if there is a positive response I may do a focus on Chopin later on.

  • Pachelbel's Canon in D
  • Bach's Toccata in D Minor
  • Handel's 'Hallelujah'
  • Gluck's Dance of the Blessed Spirits
  • Bach's Air
  • Vivaldi's Mandoline Concerto in C
  • Locatelli's Concerto Grosso in C Minor
  • Rameau's Daphnis et Egle
  • Scarlatti's Sonata in G Major

Download

2 comments:

sg327 said...

Was really impressed with everything in the pack. A few that really stood out were Bach "Air", Gluck "Dance Of The Blessed Spirits", Rameau "Daphnis At Egle" and Scarlatti "Sonata In G Major". I think I have a preference for the "string" pieces as opposed to ones with pipe organs, etc. (Great stuff. Thanks for going out of your way and taking the time to put that together).

wasteful said...

good work with this one... the baroque periods is one of my favorites and you didn't pick a single weak piece!